Interested in becoming a beekeeper or just want to learn the fundamentals of beekeeping? Join us on Saturday, February 22, 2014 for the in class portion of the course where attendees wil learn from a group of experienced urban
- Basic bee biology,
- Considerations about equipment,
- hive set-up, and location,
- Where to get your first bees & how to put them in the hive,
- Hive management through the seasons (focus on Spring),
- Natural beekeeping approaches & strategies,
- What is going on in a live hive
- How to recognize common pests & diseases
Then, join us again in May and July, to suit up for a look at what’s going on in the hive. Groups of 4 or 5 students conduct an inspection with an experienced beekeeper and focus on Summer and Fall management techniques. Compare to what’s going on in your hive, discuss and get answers. Date and time TBD based on attendees schedules.
We recommend registering for the event on Eventbrite, but if you do not want to pay the Eventbrite fee, still go to the link to register but then click the fine print “show other payment options” link below the big green “register” button. You will be given instructions on how to pay off-line by mailing a check to the Guild.
(photo by addisongeary.com)