The next Guild meeting is on April 18 at 7:30 pm.
The meeting will be held in the MAIN SANCTUARY of the Lithuanian Church on 19th Street between Wallace and North Streets in the Fairmount neighborhood (more…)
April is an extremely busy month for the Guild as we collaborate in Franklin Institute's 10-day Philadelphia Science Festival. Volunteers are needed for our April 28 event at Bartram's Garden. For details click here: http://www.philasciencefestival.org/event/23-discovery-day-urban-farming
If available, contact firstname.lastname@example.org (more…)
The Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild will have the monthly meeting this Thursday, March 21, 7:30pm at Smith Memorial Playground
- Newbee Topic: Guild Board Member Representative, Chad Carnahan will be teaching a “basics of woodenware” that will explain how to assemble all basic components of a hive, including frames.
- Old-Bee Topic: Don Shump, owner of Philadelphia Bee Company and Guild Board Member, will then be doing a talk on "Swarm Control Techniques & Collecting/Hiving Swarms”.
The Guild is once again sponsoring a group woodenware order with Ike Zook of Forest Hill Woodworking located in Lancaster County. As in years past, you order directly from Ike and tell him you are part of the Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild's order, and we will cover transportation of your order to Philadelphia.
Forest Hill's 2013 price list can be found here
Posted in Equipment
Wyck Historic House, Garden and Farm invites you to start brewing now!
Have you often wondered how to make mead, but were afraid to try? Then, we have an event for you! Novice meadmakers are invited to participate in an event designed to encourage you to start, experiment, or hone your skills.
Ultimately you will share the results of your labors during the 2013 Philadelphia Honey Festival in September, to receive constructive feedback from a mead expert. CLICK HERE FOR DETAILS!
Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild 2-DAY Short Course for New Beekeepers
Getting Started with Honeybees
Learn from experienced urban beekeepers:
• Basic bee biology
• Considerations about equipment, hive set up and location
• Where to get your first bees
• Hive management through the seasons
• Natural beekeeping approaches & strategies
• What is going on in a live hive
• How to recognize common pests & diseases (more…)
GROUP RATES AVAILABLE FOR GROUPS OF 10 OR MORE - PLEASE CONTACT INFO@PHILLYBEEKEEPERS.ORG FOR MORE INFORMATION.
The Philadelphia Beekeepers Guild
is thrilled to announce that nationally renowned beekeeper and author of "The Practical Beekeeper
", Michael Bush
, will be coming to Philadelphia to speak at their 3rd Annual Natural Beekeeping Symposium. Bush will share valuable techniques and stories about natural beekeeping based on his extensive, personal experience.
The Natural Beekeeping Symposium is an all-day event and will take place on February 10, 2013 from 10am to 4pm at William Penn Charter School on 3000 West School House Lane in Philadelphia. (more…)
Posted in Events